RHYTHM IS THE CURE 2 Day Weekend Training with Alessandra Belloni
Date:Saturday, February 4th, 2017
Time:12:00pm – 6:00pm
INTERNATIONALLY RENOWNED SINGER, PERCUSSIONIST DANCER
REMO Signature Series Artist -
RHYTHM IS THE CURE
2 Day Weekend
FRAME DRUM & TAMBOURINE Training
LEVEL 1 & 2
Based on her book Rhythm is the Cure with Mel Bay Publications
An INSPIRATIONAL HANDS-ON TRAINING FEATURING the POWERFUL south Italian frame drumming & tambourine technique based on an ancient form of music & dance therapy known as Tarantella that can benefit both men & women.
WHEN: FEBRUARY 4th and 5th
TIME: 12PM to 6PM
Early bird special: $150.00
Register before Jan. 25th using link below
NO EXPERIENCE NECESSARY
** If you join this workshop you will study and learn the use of this powerful framed drumming technique and skills to bring to your community with a sense of greater well being
**You will learn also how to incorporate this style to create your own rhythms as we synchronize our movements to these ancient rhythms.
Students will become empowered through discovery of the ancient art of frame drumming and a technique of music and dance therapy that will enable them to discover the means to achieve homeostatic balance and inner relief of stress, while restoring spiritual and physical energy. Students will learn the history of this powerful tambourine style, dating back to ancient Greek & Roman rites of the Mother Earth Goddess and the rites of Dionysus and now played for the Black Madonna and the role that the tarantella tradition has played in medicine and healing over the centuries
Learning objectives for facilitators, women communities, teachers, social workers, therapists, percussionists, musicians, and people who love to drum:
TO CONNECT WITH YOUR COMMMUNITY
- To facilitate other groups
- To bring them the opportunity to communicate powerfully
- To connect with joy
- Find balance (physical and emotional)
- Learn to facilitate
THE TRAINING INCLUDES:
(a) Technical aspects of playing the tambourines/frame drums
(b) Rhythmic patterns of various traditional songs from the tradition of the Black Madonna
(c) Group leadership skills
(d) Call and response patterns
(e) Improvisational skills using the tambourine
(f) Observational/Listening skills
(g) Chants and simple dance steps that are part of the Tarantella tradition
Each learning session will include:
- HANDS-ON TRAINING by Alessandra Belloni who will demonstrate the techniques of the rhythmic tradition) and
- PRACTICE will also include time for group members to rehearse their new skills, receive corrections, and lead the group
- These training sessions will give participants the means to fortify themselves against daily stresses.
- increase fine motor coordination
- develop awareness of self and others
- offer a means of emotional expression through sound
- give a sense of enhanced self esteem
- provide an experience of group belonging
- Modern applications of this rhythmic tradition to promote healt and wellness among various populations
STUDENTS WITH PREVIOUS EXPERIENCE WILL BE ASKED TO LEAD AND DEMONSTRATE THE FOLLOWING RHYTHMS &
TO ACCOMPANY 2 DANCES
THE ITALIAN TAMBURELLO & TARANTELLA RHTYHMS:
During the RHYTHM IS THE CURE TRAINING PROGRAM , group participants will study and practice these technical skills:
- Basic "tarantella "tamburello " techniques: holding the drum with emphasis on arm movement, hand technique for triplets, and the 6/8 and 4/4 rhythms.
- Tammorriata- a 4/4 rhythm played on the large drum called the Tammorra, originally from Naples with a strong African influence in the rhythm
- Rhythm & Dance of San Rocco- a Medieval healing 6/8 rhythm from Calabria done used for centuries to send away fear of disease and death in circle spinning.
- Pizzica Tarantata: a very fast 12/8 rhythm with different accents - played on medium size tambourines with a double row of jingles. Students will learn the rhythms and steps of this ancient dance used as a form of music therapy for centuries in Puglia.
- Improvisational techniques, using specific accents and syncopations and specifically, how to match the accents of the drum to a song's melody.
- Leading the drum circle and using the voice improvisationally to guide the group.
- Basic steps of the tarantella (including the pizzica) and simple songs and chants that are part of the ritualistic tradition
NO EXPERIENCE NECESSARY OPEN TO MEN & WOMEN
You will receive a certificate of completion.
STUDENTS WITH PREVIUS EXPERIENCE ARE WELCOME TO LEAD PART OF THE CIRCLE AND TO LEARN HOW TO ACCOMPANY THE DANCE
Alessandra Belloni is a REMO artist who is a foremost authority on traditional Italian Folk music and dance traditions of Southern Italy. Alessandra Belloni brings this authentic training, based on the roots of an ancient form of music and dance therapy known as tarantella and demonstrates how to apply this tradition to today's frame drum circles. The Rhythm is the Cure program emphasizes cultural education and brings the ethnic historical tradition of Southern Italy to those who are being trained as frame drum facilitators. She has been performing and teaching this tradition for 35 years and is the recipient of the New York State council on the Arts, grant as Master of Folk traditions - Southern Italian frame drums &Tambourines. Her extensive research on these traditions is reflected in her authoritative book entitled Rhythm is the Cure, published by MelBay. This series (open men & women) puts frame drum & tambourine technique into practice. This method will focus on giving the participants a useful tool for their practices. The use of tambourines and frame drums, along with movement, effects healing of stress and anxiety.
Dragata's Testimonial from Rhythm Is The Cure Workshop, Tuscany Italy 2013
TARANTELLA RHYTHMS - Pizzica & San Rocco- Group drumming from Rhythm Is The Cure Workshop, Tuscany Italy 2013 http://youtu.be/6QT_E-iJyC0T8
Southern Italian tambourine & frame drum lessons on documentary Brooklyn bike by Lee Free
.Alessandra Belloni LESSON 2: Tammorriata
Segment from 2015 of Alessandra Belloni on "Italics, Television for the Italian American Experience", a monthly presentation of CUNY TV.